Keeping in view World Health Organization’s (WHO) theme of working together for health, Chitkara University (CU) initiated its Nursing Program at the Chitkara School of Health Sciences (CSHS). The aim of the School is to train and develop high-quality nursing staff to provide healthcare services up to the grassroots level, as well as to meet the global demand.
As global population is rising, there is a relative fall in the number of healthcare workers. With an increasing number of nurses migrating abroad, India is facing an acute shortage of faculty and clinical practitioners in the field. This necessitates the initialization of more educational institutions to meet local, national and global demands for healthcare providers.
Our four-year B.Sc. Nursing Program is recognized by the Indian Nursing Council (INC) and the Punjab Nursing Council (PNC).
Our nursing program aims to create leaders in the profession of nursing by providing unique, innovative education that is responsive to the needs of the market, and in-sync with the rapid advance in the healthcare sector in India as well as abroad. The curriculum emphasizes a holistic approach to nursing care in order to ensure an all-round growth of the students.
Student nurses will be trained to meet international standards of professionalism and maintain the highest standard of clinical practice. They will receive training in basic nursing procedures, which will help them deliver basic care to patients. All students will be imparted training in the development of basic skills in the laboratory—in simulated conditions—before they are exposed to actual hospital situations.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM
The objectives of the B.Sc. Nursing Program are that upon completion of the course, the graduates shall be able to:
- Apply knowledge from physical, biological, and behavioural sciences; medicine—including alternative systems—and nursing, while providing nursing care to individuals, families and communities.
- Demonstrate understanding of lifestyle and other factors, which affect the health of individuals and groups.
- Provide nursing care according to the steps of nursing process, and in collaboration with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills in making decisions in all situations in order to provide high-quality care.
- Utilize the latest trends and technologies in providing healthcare services.
- Provide promotive, preventive and restorative health services, in line with the national health policies.
- Practice within the framework of code of ethics and professional conduct, and acceptable standards of practice within the legal boundaries.
- Communicate effectively with individuals, groups and members of the health team in order to promote effective interpersonal relationships and teamwork.
- Demonstrate skills in teaching individuals and groups in clinical/community health settings.
- Participate effectively as members of health team in healthcare delivery system.
- Demonstrate leadership and managerial skills in clinical/community health settings.
- Conduct need-based research studies in various settings, and utilize research findings to improve the quality of care.
- Demonstrate awareness, interest and contribution towards the advancement of self, as well as of the profession.
OUR ACADEMIC FACILITIES
The laboratory attached to the nursing school is equipped to carry out screening of all common ailments such as diabetes, hypertension and anemia. In addition, the laboratory has specially designed bags to carry the necessary equipment for homecare such as thermometer, articles for urine testing, growth monitoring, dressing and physical examination. Besides the infrastructure of the college, the well- equipped laboratories and clinics of various departments of Fortis hospital (Mohali) will support various academic and research activities.
Besides offering special courses to improve the students’ computer skills, we will also offer them special courses in communication skills. These will be offered with the aim to help them:
- Improve interaction skills with multi-disciplinary team and their clients in hospitals.
- Exercise analytical skills when confronted with critical situations.
- Become familiar with use of computer and related technology.
- Become self-confident.
Along with these special courses, students will have the opportunity to attend various workshops and certification programs for developing their competencies in clinical nursing as well as in fields related to management and education. The programs may be on the following themes:
- Emergency Nursing.
- Critical-care Nursing.
- Nursing Management Skills.
- Innovative Nursing Education Methods etc.
Upon completion of the B.Sc. Nursing Program, the graduates can work as clinical nurses, managers, researchers and educators who will possess professional knowledge, critical thinking, ethical decision-making, leadership skills, and the desire for independent, as well as inter-disciplinary pursuit of high standards of healthcare.